Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 4: Losing my religion

Note:  the views expressed here are strictly my opinion, and are based on my own personal experiences.  This isn't a debate, so please don't tell me how wrong you think I am if you disagree.

My views on religion:

I'm a big fan of God.  I'm not a big fan of "organized" religion.  As a child, growing up in the Catholic church, something always felt off to me.  I thought it was because I wasn't doing enough to immerse myself in the church, so I threw myself into every activity I could to fill that void inside me.  It wasn't until I was older that I realized it had nothing to do with the fact that I wasn't doing enough for the church, it was that the church wasn't doing enough for ME.  It felt like our parish had become about little more than money and politics, and God was nowhere near the top of the list.   It wasn't until I met Todd and started going to his non-denominational church that I understood what it meant to feel at home at church.  Too often, with organized religion comes the desire for more bodies in the seats, and the quest for warm bodies frequently leads to greed and corruption and the pursuit of power.  I prefer a congregation where God is the primary focus, and everything else is secondary.  I'm not dissing *all* organized religion; the fact that I attend a church at all is proof of that.  But my own experience with a specific religion left me feeling empty and unfulfilled.

As for my actual beliefs...well, that's a post for a different day.  Day 18, to be exact.  I guess you'll just have to come back to find out what I believe in, won't you?  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I've been trying not to read your posts before I do mine to avoid being influenced by your awesomeness... and I've also been trying not to read ahead on the 30-day list... ACK! Cheater! ;-)

    ReplyDelete