Thursday, December 1, 2011

And the challenge begins!

*deep breath*

Okay, I'm ready.  30 Day Blog Challenge begins...NOW!

Day 1:  Your current relationship, if single, discuss how single life is.

My current relationship status is married.  I haven't been single in for what feels like 150 years.  In reality, it's nearly 18 together, 16 married.  Holy cow.  That's a looooong time to be with just one person and still both be alive.

Todd and I have been together since just after my 22nd birthday, and I'll be 40 in two weeks.  We met on December 31, 1993 at Rodeo, a country-western line dance saloon.  (Stop laughing!)  The next morning, when my mom asked me if I'd met anybody the night before, I told her I met the man I was going to marry.


  On August 27, 1994, Todd proposed during a dinner cruise aboard the Liberty Belle Clipper.  He was so nervous he dropped the ring and it almost went through the boards of the deck.  It was so cute!  I knew something was up, and everybody in my family was acting squirrelly and giving me sappy smiles and "awwww"ing a lot.  He even asked my dad for my hand in marriage.  Such a traditionalist, my guy is!  On September 9, 1995, we said "I do".

The past 16 years have been full of ups and downs.  Some of the ups have been amazing (the births of our 3 kids), and some of the downs have been devastating (the deaths of my grandmother, my niece and my father).    We've overcome the tough stuff and we're still together.  There are times where we want to absolutely KILL each other, but we work through it and get over it and move on.  He drives me nuts at times, and there have been moments where I haven't been sure we'd make it.  But despite those bad days, there isn't anyone else I can imagine growing old with.  Like he always tells me (in his best Forrest Gump voice) "We go together like peas and carrots, Jenny."


Todd and I have always said we wanted to follow in our respective parents' footsteps:  we both come from families where the parents have 40+ year marriages.  We're nearly halfway there...I think we might must make it!

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome, Jen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this more than words can say... sooo... <3 & {{{HUGS!!!}}}

    ReplyDelete