Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 16: Gettin' mah groove on

What are your views on mainstream music?

For the most part, I don't listen to much "mainstream" music.  I used to listen to country music pretty much exclusively, then one day, I heard my 3-year old singing "tequila makes her clothes fall off" and it hit me like a slap in the face.  I've always liked contemporary Christian music, and we started making shift to that genre.  It really helps that we now have a CCM radio station in our area, and with the iPod and streaming from KLOVE, we're covered pretty much 100% of the time.  We do listen to Top 40 stuff on occasion, and we're all big fans of Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, and a few others.  I do still love 80s music, and the Beatles are always welcome in our house.  But other than that, I'm really not into much "mainstream" music.  I don't care for a lot of the themes of the popular music, and the slightly prudish part of me cringes at the thought of my kids singing the lyrics of some of the popular music.  I think that the music we listen to can and does affect our mood, and I want to help my kids have a positive outlook.  For us as a family, listening to contemporary Christian is a way to keep the "church feeling" going all through the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment