Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 14: Your earliest memory

Ohhh noes!  I missed a day!  See?  I can't even remember to post to my blog.  How am I going to remember my earliest memory?

Ummm...


Ahhhh...


Seriously.  I am drawing a total blank.


*wracks brain*


*scratches head*


Holy cow.  Has turning 40 fried my brain so completely that I now have no memories???


Okay.  I remember some stuff.  One thing that I always loved was when I got to stay at my grandmother's house.  I always felt so grown up when I went there, because I got to stay up late and watch Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Saturday night.  I remember how exciting it was when Grandma finally got a color TV.  It's weird that even now, 35 years later, I can still mentally "smell" her house.  We played a LOT of Yahtzee, did a lot of crocheting, and ate a lot of toast.  (Grandma always froze her bread in plastic baggies, and we had to toast it to eat it.)  Geez...I miss her so much!

I also remember being at my other grandparents' house a lot.  The one thing that comes to mind is The Beatles.  My grandmother was a HUGE Beatles fan, and we'd stack all of the LPs on the record player and listen to every single song while we were there.  My brothers and I were probably the only kids in the 70s who knew every word to every song they ever released.  The adults would hang out, drinking their beers, while the kids sneaked to the basement and drank as much Faygo pop as we could without exploding.  I can still hear the voices of my dad and the rest of the family harmonizing.  Hearing the song "Michelle" always evokes really powerful memories for me.  I still love every song The Beatles ever recorded!

No comments:

Post a Comment