Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 1: Dun dun DUN...and so it begins.


Oh hi.  It's me, Jen.  Today is the first day of the rest of my life my latest 30-day blog challenge.  I'm supposed to post a picture of myself and a description of how my day was.  Should be easy enough!  

So that's me up there.  All chubby cheeks and freckles.  Taken at Disney World on October 9th.  Pure serendipity that someone aimed the camera at me and actually captured a photo that didn't make me cringe.

Today is Thursday, November 1, 2012.  At some point today, I woke up.  I don't remember specifically when that was, but I know it was earlier than I wanted because I didn't get to bed until 3:30 (don't judge me!) and didn't fall asleep until 5:30ish.  At 7:30 I made a deal with the devil (aka my husband) and promised something I'll regret in order to convince him he was the one who wanted to get the kids up and ready for school.  My wake up call was literally a phone call from my mom.  We talked for about 46 seconds then she gave me the bum's rush because my brother was at the door.  Fine.  Wake me for nothing, whydontcha.  I bopped around on Facebook (after I peed, because that always comes first) for a while, then got up and made coffee.  Mmmm...coffee.  Yummy.  Took a shower at some point because I couldn't remember if I had one of those yesterday (I'm 76.4% sure I didn't) and put on clothes.  Spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning up other people's crap and complaining about it the whole time.  (My semi-internal monologue sounds something like this:  "Freaking kids.  Are they allergic to the freaking hamper?  Or flushing the toilet?  Or swishing their icky toothpaste down the drain?  Why are their dirty socks in my clean bedroom?  Ack!  What is this sticky spot on the floor?  Pleaseohplease don't let it be cat hoark.  Oh good, it's only a semi-eaten, half-melted, gooey pile of lollipop.  I swear by all that's good and holy, if their rooms aren't clean by tomorrow, they're gonna get 7 pair of undies and socks, one outfit and one pair of jammies and THAT'S IT!  I don't care if the other kids call them names.  I'm sick of finding dirty underwear IN THE LIVING ROOM!"

Pause ranting long enough to make lunch.  Decide the heck with it, the house is clean enough that if someone showed up unannounced I'd only be partially humiliated, and went in to hibernate on my bed with a good movie and my crocheting.  And a pile of cats.  Who wanted to play with the yarn, but would settle for "making biscuits" on the finished project, thereby pulling a zillion threads loose and making it look like poo.  Thanks, cats.  Maybe we need a little refresher about how much better it is to live in a "forever" home versus the animal shelter?

After perusing the contents of the fridge, I decided today would be Eat all the Leftovers Day, which works for me because we have all those leftovers thanks to me cooking my little heart out all week.  The kids were happy because they each got a nice plateful of their favorite meal from this week.  I was happy because I didn't have to cook.  It was win-win!

So how was my day?  On a scale of 1 to 10, it was about a 5.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful.  It was a Thursday.  Though it may be creeping up toward a six, because there's a new episode of Project Runway All-Stars on tonight.  Backstabbing and weird looking clothes?  Yes, please!

2 comments:

  1. The halfway to Not Awful days are SO much better than those HORRIBLE days... perception is reality, duntchano?!

    You are AWESOME, chickadee! Night owls always are... but uhm, dirty underwear in the living room? Eww. Not so much.

    You GO, Girlfriend!!! {{{HUGS!!!}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 100% sure I didn't have a shower today. I did have a delicious 4-hour nap though.

    I think anybody under 30 or male is oblivious to laundry hampers.

    Can't wait for Day 2!

    ReplyDelete