Thursday, March 29, 2007

The worst has finally happened

I knew this day was coming. It was inevitable. I am no magician, no sorceress; I can't stop time from marching onward. But even though I knew it was coming, I still couldn't contain my shock when it finally happened.

My oldest, Jacob, who will be nine in April, has decided that he is no longer calling me "Mommy". He informed me last night (in the car on the way to Wal-Mart) that he is too grown up to call me "Mommy" and will therefore now call me "Mom". The whole time we were shopping he'd start to say "Mommy" but catch himself and edit it down to just plain ol' "Mom". I have to admit, it sounds so weird coming out of his mouth. He has called me 'Mommy" since he learned to talk. He's also christened his father "Dad" instead of "Daddy". Apparently my husband knew of this sudden maturity and failed to tell me. I owe him a whack on the head for that little sin of omission!

What's next? Dating? Wanting to go places without me? Or the most horrible thought of all: Will he finally realize that no, Mom is not the smartest woman alive? I'm quivering in my boots here with worry that my authority and wisdom are going to be in doubt...

1 comment:

  1. oh, just wait. you're going to blink your eyes and suddenly, they'll be in high school. i've only got a few months left. then 4 super short years before college. i cry daily. i know you cherish each moment, as every mother does...hopefully time travel will be developed soon.

    ReplyDelete