Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dog People

I like dogs. Dogs are wonderful pets. I do not own a dog because they are a LOT of work. I'm more of a cat person. I love how you can basically throw some food and water at a cat, and as long as it's litterbox is scooped daily, a cat can amuse itself. We had a dog once, for about 9 months. We got her as a puppy and she was this really adorable ball of fluff that had that wonderful smell of puppy breath and pee. Unfortunately, within 6 months, that adorable ball of fluff had transformed into a 60-pound monster that had the strength of a titan. I was pregnant at the time, and it got so bad that I couldn't go too close to her because she had knocked my pregnant butt on the ground more than once. My oldest son was terrified of her because she'd knocked him down one day and had him pinned while she jumped on him and tried to lick him to death. He refused to go near her. So unfortunately, sweet doggie had to go buh-bye.

So what is my beef, you ask? ('Cuz if you know me then you know there has to be a beef in here somewhere, and of course, you'd be right.) Dog owners who can't go anywhere without dragging Rover or Spot with them. They are the people who run to the store for a loaf of bread and tow the dog with them. These are the poor beasts who lose their minds when you walk past them, locked in the car with the windows cracked an inch while their owners stroll down the aisles of the store. They are the people who dress their dogs in ridiculous outfits and who probably spend more money on FiFi's fashions than they do on their own. They have dog carriers that look like Louis Vuitton purses (and cost as much as well) so they can tote their pampered pooch in style. I'm not just talking about the Paris Hiltons or Lindsay Lohans of the Hollywood set who drag their pooches around like living, breathing accessories. I'm talking about Herb and Ida who live next door who drag Pickles the Poodle to the Giant Eagle (or Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly or Wal-Mart) every week when they do their shopping.

Today's gripe: We took the kids to a farm today. (Don't laugh at me; I realize the irony of it: we live on a farm and on our "off days" we go to another farm.) It's a county park that has a real, working farm on it. I didn't see any signs prohibiting dogs, but c'mon, why would anybody with a brain drag their dog through a farm where there are lots of animals (and kids) running around? This place was packed--it was the first nice weekend day this spring and EVERYBODY (and their dog) was out enjoying the weather. There must have been 30 dogs being dragged through this farm. All growling at each other, sniffing each others' butts, and generally going bonkers because they wanted to chase the poor, unsuspecting farm animals that were going about their daily business.

I don't get it. When we had our dog we used to leave her at home if we were going somewhere that she wouldn't be welcome. I understand that dogs need exercise and all, but still, I don't think a farm crowded with kids and farm animals is an appropriate place to take your dog. I watched a little boy almost get bitten because he tried to pet somebody's dog and the dog was not having any of it. Luckily for the boy, he got away unscathed.

Maybe I'll put my cat on a leash and see how people like it when I bring him with me. That would be interesting, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people feel the same way about children, that they should not be in public places? Due to the fact that they are not behaving the way they should behave??? That they are climbling all over and yelling and acting worst than dogs, while others are paying for a meal. Who's fault is it??? The parents??? The dog owners??? I feel the same way about "kid people"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did my mom bring her dog to your house? i'm so sorry. and i think i know who 'anonymous' is, it might be my cousin.

    ReplyDelete