Monday, March 25, 2013

Winning at life



This is my first Trifecta entry.  Please, oh please, be kind and gentle.  I'm a fragile soul.  *wink*

LUCKY (adjective)

1: having good luck
2: happening by chance : fortuitous
3: producing or resulting in good by chance : favorable

333 words.  Exactly.  Booyah!





The lure of fast, easy money was too tempting.  Millions of dollars in my pocket, no effort required.  Ignoring the odds--170,000,000:1--I bought a ticket.  That ten dollar investment was going to bring me $350 million, I just knew it.  I went to bed that night dreaming of all the ways I’d spend my loot.  A huge house, fancy cars, European vacations, and a wardrobe to die for were just a few of the ways I was going to spoil myself.

The next morning, I eagerly turned on the news to see if I had won the jackpot.  Imagine my surprise when the announcer said the winning ticket had been sold in the exact store from which I’d bought my ticket!  I started to tingle in anticipation.  I sat down with my laptop, my hands shaking as I typed in the address of the lottery website.  “This is it!”, I thought excitedly.  “All of my dreams are coming true!”

I didn’t have one correct number.

Later that day, my phone rang.  It was my best friend, and she was shouting with glee.

“I won!  I won!  I had all the right numbers!”, she crowed.

Shocked, I stuttered, “I’m…s-s-so…h-h-happy…for you.”  I can’t even tell you how the rest of the conversation went; I had tuned out after her announcement and was wallowing in misery at the thought of someone else winning.

I wouldn’t be building a huge house.  I wouldn’t be buying fancy cars or taking incredible European vacations while wearing designer clothes.  She would.

She had stolen my dream.  That lucky bitch.

Three months later, I got a call from a mutual friend, who told me that our lottery-winning friend had been found, dead, in her penthouse.  Her new home, the one with amazing city views.  Brutally murdered, at the hands of her handsome new boyfriend, who ran off to Brazil with all of her money after convincing her to put everything in a joint account.

I guess I’m the lucky one after all.

24 comments:

  1. Oh, my... you are indeed the lucky one! >8-O

    AWESOME post and welcome new Trifectan, we get to haze you now. LOL, just kidding!!! {{{HUGS!}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story! I always "spend" my lottery winnings every time I bother to buy a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luck comes in many forms. I feel the same way for each drawing. Fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the surprise twist at the end. Great story and makes me hope I never win the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good read. Nice twist of an ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite like this story; simple read, great twist, nice choice of words..I look forward to see more from you. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to win the lottery... until now. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor woman! Emotions well-described
    Be nice if captcha wasn't there...makes commenting an ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the welcome and all of the feedback! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    And Euan, the captcha has been removed. But if I start getting comments telling me that I can earn $4972 a day working from home or that my man can increase the size of his...stuff...with just one pill a day, the captcha goes back into effect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story! It may be fiction, but it's a good "warning" for those with dollar signs in their eyes! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nemma... you don't look too fragile to me, yelling at the sideline... but, welcome anyway. I liked your story and the line... 'I didn’t have one correct number'... pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nanna, welcome to our alternative universe! I'm not a gambler, but I can understand the adrenaline rush you experienced (or the narrator, was this a true story?) when the store was announced.

    And you know, luck is what you make it. I once went on "Wheel of Fortune" (really!) and won ZERO dollars, after being known among friends as the puzzle queen. The wheel screwed me! But if I had won, I would have been financially tethered to my first husband, who was kind of wacko.

    The ending is chilling but confirms the thought above. Very good stuff, Nanna, and keep it coming! Your new sister in poetry, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific twist. Fantastic ending. I love how quickly the relationship fell apart. Realistic and true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Firstly I shall say welcome to the Trifecta clan. Such a realistic train of thought to be so envious at a friend winning only to have feelings of remorse hearing of her death. I am sure this would be most people's reaction. To step back and think how fortunate you are..that it wasn't you. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun story. It is exactly how we all feel the first time we buy a lottery ticket. Add to that the jealousy of having to know the winner. What a fun read. It is true about luck, it can be a deception in how it seems at time. I always think of actors who bust their butts to get off a show to keep from being typecast and never act again. Sometimes the ordinary is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. New Trifectan, coming in with a punch! (: Awesome first post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great first entry. Never know how our luck will turn out.

    Small technicality (yes I'm pedantic..) $10 at 170,000,000:1 would net $1,700,000,000..

    (RogRites)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol re RogRites comment: if you're going to dispense with the math (with my blessing, personally), do it with threes (333 million). It's called a Trifecta suckup.

    Fun story. Poetic justice is always satisfying.

    [Welcome!]

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll have to remember the Trifecta suckup for my next entry. And I guess I should have said "a one in 170,000,000 chance". Obviously, math is NOT my strength!

    Though I wouldn't say no to a $1.7 billion jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funny - a few good twists. But a good friend you should have been able to suck 30 or 40 k out?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I relate to this story. Every time the jackpot is big I buy a few tickets and then dream about what I would do with the money. If I ever win I will make sure not to get a handsome devious boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great story! We've all felt that anticipation and that disappointment, I think. The build-up is part of the fun.

    Welcome to Trifecta! It's a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed this take:-)The definition of "lucky" does change in relation to diffetrent people, time,place or situation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome to Trifecta, we're glad to have you! Great twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete